I provide strategic communications solutions with high ROI for companies & brands to excel in the Digital Age. I'm also a beBee brand ambassador and blogger in the USA. Passions: writing, national politics, news media, nature, environment, space, cosmology, new tech, VR/AI/IoT/Nano/Robotics/Quantum.
Strategic Communications Advisor, Social Media Strategist, Writer/Editor
National Public Sector Employer January 1995 - at PresentI specialize in navigating the crowded intersection between PR, media relations, social media and journalism for employers and brands in the Digital Age.
Prior positions held with this employer:
* Global Press Spokesman (quoted over 1,000 times)
* Acting Communications Director
* Media Relations Manager (53 field offices nationwide)
* Speechwriter & Electronic Newsletter Editor
* Senior Public Affairs Specialist
* Media Contact Specialist
* White House Liaison
NOTE: Current employer not named to avoid any perceived conflict of interest per my independent writing/blogging and personal social media activity.
* Fielded national media calls and assisted reporters with federal budget issues.
* Coordinated and staffed print and broadcast media interviews.
* Disseminated the "Budget of the U.S. Government for Fiscal Year 1995" to national media.
* Served as liaison to the White House Press Office for meetings and news briefings.
* Assisted author and Washington Post editor Bob Woodward (who broke the "Watergate" story) with his first book about the Clinton Administration ( "The Agenda").
* Wrote press releases, speeches and "talking points" on budget issues.
Special Assistant, White House OPP
Office of Presidential Personnel (OPP) January 1993 - June 1993NOTE: This job carried over from the Presidential Transition Office, Department of Personnel, at outset of the Clinton Presidency.
* Assisted in selecting political appointees to work in public affairs/communications offices within Cabinet departments and federal agencies government-wide.
* Interviewed dozens of job candidates in-person and assessed their qualifications.
* Reviewed hundreds of resumes of prospective political appointees.
* Wrote personnel staffing reports and maintained electronic data base of applicants.
Office of Chief Pollster June 1992 - November 1992* Worked on staff of chief pollster to presidential candidate Bill Clinton.
* Conducted survey research and analyzed polling data.
* Assisted in coordinating focus groups with likely voters on key issues.
* Wrote polling reports and assisted with development of campaign strategy.
Editorial Page Editor, Award-Winning Columinist, Reporter for DBK
The Diamondback Newspaper (DBK), Maryland Media Inc. (University of Maryland) September 1989 - June 1992* Selected as Editorial Page Editor for nationally-recognized student newspaper at the University of Maryland (independently owned and operated by Maryland Media Inc. -- paid position). Daily readership of 50,000.
* Wrote weekly editorials and columns on a range of local, national and global issues.
* Performed editing, layout, headline writing for daily editorial pages.
* Managed staff of weekly columnists and edited their submissions.
* Won column writing award from The Society of Professional Journalists, Mark of Excellence Contest,
* Covered campus-related news as an at-large daily beat reporter.
Environment Reporter and Copy Editor (paid summer internship)
The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. (currently Bloomberg BNA) June 1991 - September 1991* Beat reporter covering environmental issues related to wetlands, clean air and clean water.
* Wrote articles about rules and regulations promulgated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
* Covered the White House Council on Environmental Quality and committee hearings of the U.S. Congress on proposed environmental legislation.
* Edited copy and wrote headlines.
Press Assistant, U.S. Congress (internship for college credit)
Office of the Majority Leader, House of Representatives January 1990 - August 1990* Assisted the Press Secretary, Communications Director and Speechwriter in daily office activities.
* Wrote media advisories and "talking points" on legislative issues during the 1990 "Budget Summit" between Congress and the White House.
* Fielded media calls and coordinated interviews for Congressman Richard Gephardt of St. Louis, Missouri.
* Helped arrange press conferences and news briefings.
* Assisted front office staff with administrative activities.
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree in Journalism (Minor in Political Science)
University of Maryland
1988 - 1992
(4 years) Maryland
* All external and internal communications, including global media/PR campaigns;
* All types of writing and editing, including ghostwriting, blogging, speechwriting;
* Social media management, marketing and strategy;
* Message development and brand image enhancement;
* Executive media training and organizational press spokesman; and
* U.S. political analyst and commentator (print, digital, broadcast).
NOTE: Winner of distinguished writing award from The Society of Professional Journalists for opinion-editorials (op-eds) on national and international issues.