Study UK: Prepare to Study and Live in the UK
FREE COURSE - FREE CERTIFICATE
FREE ONLINE COURSE (with a PDF Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible)
Duration: 4 weeks
Be prepared for university study in the UK by familiarising yourself with UK culture and higher education.
Understand how to make the most of life and university study in the UK.
The prestige of a UK university education attracts students from all over the world. However, research shows that transition to UK study is not always easy. Many feel challenged by an unfamiliar educational system, cultural differences, and working in a different language.
This course will give you all the help you need to study and thrive in the UK. You’ll become familiar with studying in English and how higher education courses are structured, gaining a clear understanding of what to expect. You’ll also develop self-study skills, whilst getting a taste of life in the UK.
What topics will you cover?
- Characteristic features of higher education in the UK: active engagement, critical thinking, evidence-based argument, independent study, academic integrity
- Study modes: lectures, seminars, tutorials, student presentations, group assignments, their roles and functions
- The language skills you need to achieve success (academic writing, reading, listening and note-taking, speaking)
- Understanding assessment in higher education
- Support services available to students; library, English language support, counselling etc.
- Practical issues round living as a student in the UK: accommodation, making friends, what to bring, things you need to do on arrival
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate an understanding of UK academic culture and the engagement expected of you
- Explore the way teaching and learning is organised in UK higher education and its key terminology
- Reflect on the language knowledge and academic skills you need to achieve success
- Assess the resources that are available to you to support your learning
- Reflect on the positive contribution you will make to UK academic life through the diversity of perspectives you bring
- Develop the confidence you need to feel prepared for study in the UK
Who is the course for?
This course would be of immense benefit to international students who have been accepted to study at a UK university.
Who will you learn with?
I’m an English for Academic Purposes teacher & materials developer at the University of Reading. My research interest is different modes of thought & reasoning across different language & cultures.
Who developed the course?
The British Council is on the ground in six continents and over 100 countries connecting the best of UK culture with a global audience and providing high-quality English language courses.
The GREAT campaign
We are key players in the GREAT campaign working closely with Government, DIT, FCO, DCMS and the British Council.
Study UK is a global campaign that promotes the UK as the first-choice study destination to international students and their influencers. It is the UK’s only national-level campaign that showcases the UK’s outstanding higher education offering.
British Council are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- A PDF Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
FREE WEBINAR · When: Thursday, 21 October 2021 · T ...
Ah, you have departed from this world so soon · bu ...
You have no groups that fit your search