Federal - Medical Technologist Chemistry Core Lab
Found in: Sputnik beBee US
Description:Federal Medical Technologist Chemistry Core Lab Job in NEW ORLEANS, LA
| No Government Logins | No Fees | Free Email Alerts
The medical technologist rotates on a regular basis through the above-mentioned work assignments in the Chemistry Laboratory Section. Also, he/she maintains competency in the basic, routine Hematology /Coagulation Laboratory Section. The work is performed on the day shift and includes weekend and holiday coverage to meet the needs of the served Veteran population. The duties and responsibilities of the Medical Technologist- Chemistry -Core Lab Generalist include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs a broad range of laboratory procedures including all testing and tasks of the medical laboratory technology occupation. In addition, performs advanced and complex laboratory procedures in the Chemistry Section; recognizes deviation from expected results; analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles.
- Performs urinalysis, chemistry and immunoassay testing.
- Performs basic, routine hematology and coagulation testing.
- Follows standard operating procedures (SOP) in all applicable areas to assure accuracy of laboratory results. Verifies and reports results in a timely manner and communicates critical results per laboratory policy for reporting of critical laboratory values.
- Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis taking into account physiologic processes and requirements.
- Maintains and documents the optimal functioning of laboratory equipment. Uses, calibrates, identifies malfunctions, repairs, and performs preventive maintenance of laboratory equipment. Recognizes deviations in test performance due to instrument malfunction and initiates corrective action.
- Performs and documents quality control and quality assurance activities and corrective actions related to test performance using statistical principles and theories of performance improvement.
- Participates in Section Performance Improvement projects as assigned.
- Adheres to practices and regulations governing biosafety and biosecurity in the workplace.
- Identifies discrepancies, solves problems, and presents solutions.
- Maintains the confidentiality of medical records by adhering to applicable HIPPA and ADP guidelines for all patient medical data.
- Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specificity, test sensitivity, and specific factors, which influence test results. Interprets results and suggests follow-up test selection or procedures.
- Evaluates and implements new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of equipment, method comparison and establishment of reference intervals using statistical methods and theoretical knowledge. Interprets findings and makes recommendations.
- Incorporates principles of educational methodology in the instruction and training of new employees and students (Medical Technology interns and Pathology residents) and in the laboratory s in-service/continuing education program.
- Communicates effectively and courteously while working as a healthcare team member. Organizes work and sets priorities to meet deadlines. Follows safety policies, universal precautions and uses personal protective equipment (PPE) as required for the task being performed and per safety and Infection Control policies.
- Manages reagent and expendables inventory to ensure patient testing is not interrupted and utilizes laboratory supplies in a cost-effective manner with a minimum of waste.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Fi nancial Disclosure Report: Not required
calendar_today5 days ago