Experince Tax manager
About teresa zhou:
I am a multilingual, well-rounded professional with extensive Domestic and International tax provision and compliance in the major foreign and US bank and big 4 accounting firms and in various roles such as domestic and international tax planning, provision and IRS audit. I also experienced company M&A tax strategy and planning. My diversified background, strategic mindset, business acumen, and knowledge set me apart from my peers who specialize only in certain areas. I am also very result-driven with a focus on improving efficiency in business operations.
Nomura - Instinet LLC (FinTech) September 2020 - Present
Tax VP – Tax provision, compliance, planning and audit NYC, USA
- International tax – U.S. compliance and reporting
- Lead and manage preparation of international portion of company’s U.S. income tax return, including Forms 8858, 5471, 1118 and others. Reviewing GILTI, FDII, BEAT, 163(j) and foreign tax credit limitation calculations
- Prepare/review and manage U.S. tax return disclosures for international issues and transactions.
- Support international portion of quarterly and year-end tax provision including review of transfer pricing adjustments.
- Manage international aspects of U.S. controversy, including preparation of IDR responses and supporting workpapers.
- Review of additional tax forms including, but not limited to FinCEN Form 114 FBAR Foreign Bank Account Report, Form 8938 Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets (FATCA), and Form 5471 Information Return of U.S. Persons with Respect to Certain Foreign Corporations.
- Manage and review Canadian entities’ tax provision and filings. Handle and communicate with Canadian CFO for audits, notices etc.
- Coordinate the preparation of tax compliance including U.S. federal and state corporation tax returns and transfer pricing compliance.
- Manage the preparation and review of quarterly and annual income tax provisions for both the domestic and international entities
- Assist with federal, multi-state, and international income tax filings and supporting calculations, including estimates and extensions, and ensuring timely filing
- Manage preparation and filing of sales/use tax returns and payment of related tax liabilities by external service providers
- Oversee other indirect tax filings including personal property tax, franchise tax, sales and use tax, GST and VAT
- Americas region planning and compliance
BNP Paribas RCC Inc. August 2015 – September 2020
Tax VP -Tax Audit & Planning NJ, USA
- Identified, analyzed, evaluated and recorded sufficient information during the execution of internal audit work to achieve the internal audit objectives. Collaborated with regulatory reporting and tax operations team to develop and implement audit strategies, prepared supporting memoranda, responses, audit protests, and related documentation supporting financial statement and tax return positions.
- Coordinate with tax compliance and provision team, regulatory reporting team and internal audit team to update tax audit tracking system Beacon. Helped to minimize tax risk and audit internal controls for accuracy. I monitored changes in tax law and analysis for possible impacts on the company’s tax exposure.
- Assisted director in all stages of key state & local income tax audits, including preparing responses to information requests, modelling settlement proposals, reconciling payments and involved in various aspects of audit group’s risk assessment, scope determination, and reporting test work.
- Supported on issues regarding Reg 1.882-5 interest expense calculations under separate currency pools, head off expense calculation, effectively connected versus non-effectively connect income.
- Plan and execute audit testing to ensure audit fieldwork is focused on the right areas and documentation meets high quality standards to IRS and state local tax department.
Zhou Business Tax Consultant February 2013 - August 2015
Providing tax consulting and advisory for TD Canada Trust, Grant Thornton LLP, Aviation, Mining Gold, and IT clients. Vancouver, Canada
- Maintained GST, HST, PST and ITC tax pool calculations to support business analyst and IT tax system programmers in the design and implementation of information systems that will assist with TD Divisions commodity tax compliance efforts.
- Cooperated with Tax Technology Team and program business model, operating model, and change management teams to identify impact workstream development
- Managed the preparation and reviewed of the completion of various U.S. international tax filings. This includes Forms 5471, 5472, 8858, 1120-F, FBAR filings, FINCEN 114 and 1118 to ensure compliance with U.S. International tax reporting and filing requirements. Experienced withholding tax 1042, 8804, 8805 and partnership tax 1065. Knowledge with cross boarder tax and oversee reporting engagements under FATCA. Experienced with Canadian returns (T-1/T-2) including FTC calculation.
Deloitte & Touche LLP December 2011 - January 2013
International Tax Group (US Tax Services) - US Tax Manager Vancouver, Canada
- Helped to minimize tax risk and audit internal controls for accuracy; established internal tax memorandums; and monitored changes in tax law and analysis for possible impacts on the company’s tax exposure. Determined tax policy and advised the Division of Taxation regarding compliance issues with established and new policy guidelines and procedures. Assisted with M&A activity and provided tax due diligence and assessment services
- Prepared tax provision for the quarterly and annual interim reporting periods. Calculated an annual forecasted effective tax rate, reconciled current and deferred tax accounts; documented quarterly tax provision processes that satisfy SOX404 requirements, assisted with return to provision difference, and prepared tax provision entries and GAAP reporting requirements for SEC disclosure.
- Calculated book to tax differences (M-1/M-3) such as bad debt, deferred income, prepaid expenses, accrued expenses, accrued payroll, Sec 263A, & tax-book depreciation adjustments. Contained preparation of quarterly tax-related disclosures required for the group reporting.
- Assisted in monitoring the progress of the US tax compliance work in Indian domain, conducting meetings with Indian international tax group and/or to provide technical guidance.
- Provides tax related advice and guidance concerning Financial Regulations and Rules and Accounting Instructions.
Barclays Capital Inc. & Lehman Brothers Inc. December 2007 - February 2011
Global Financial Reporting - Senior Tax Accountant New York, USA
- Led tax operation team members with optimizing Microsoft Macro tax database to support corporation tax return K-1’s preparation.
- Analyzed Accounts and review GL, prepared quarterly and annual international ASC 740 (FAS 109/FIN 48) tax accruals, global effective tax rate calculations, provision to return true up and footnote disclosure for Financial Statement. Reviewed of 808 non-US legal entities attributes including Effective Tax Rates (ETR), Tax Credits, NOL and related Valuation Allowance (VA) analyses.
- Coordinated with outsource consultants at Barclays Services Company to develop an M&E project to generate cost savings of 30% expenses per annum. Corrected the beginning balance of Barclays’ Capital Commodity federal tax returns, saving $2 million.
- Maintained quarterly SOX 404 internal control procedures for tax accounting and insured all processes are properly documented, tested, and coordinated with internal and external auditors for control testing.
- Worked closely with foreign subsidiaries with transfer pricing /intercompany transactions issues; developed and implemented foreign transfer pricing policy and planning strategies.
- Specialized for Canadian Commodity tax provision; reviewed Canadian Commodity tax GST calculations; assisted file Federal and Provincial tax returns (NR4, T106, and T2 form).
Union Bank of Switzerland Financial Services Inc. (UBS Financial Services Inc.) April 2006 - December 2007
Federal Tax Team -Tax Associate New Jersey, USA
- Prepared quarterly and annual IFRS/FAS 109 employee compensation stocks and options calculations for 20 UBS wealth management entities.
- Prepared consolidated federal income and multi-state tax returns including state and local income/franchise tax returns for subsidiaries and various combined/consolidated state tax filings.
- Assisted in the preparation in the tax provision (FAS109) and tax planning process for our domestic and international corporations. Assisted preparing year-end provision for consolidated financial statement.
Seton Hall University
• Master of Science in Taxation (President Scholarship and Graduate Assistantship) December 2003
• Bachelor of Science in Business Management Information Systems December 2001
Professionals in the same Accounting / Finance sector as teresa zhou
Professionals from different sectors near New York City, New York
Other users who are called teresa
Jobs near New York City, New York
Comb & Care - DE Newark, DE, United States
Starting Pay Rate: $18 - $20 / hour · At DRIFT , we work with healthcare companies across the United States to help recruit for frontline staff positions. By applying with us, you'll work with one ...
New Jersey Institute for Disabilities Shrewsbury, NJ, United States Part time, Temporary
The New Jersey Institute for Disabilities (NJID) is one of the largest not-for-profit agencies of its kind in the nation providing services to infants, children and adults with developmental and relat ...
Management & Training Corp. Edison, NJ, United States
Overview · SALARY: $38.41 · Schedule: Full Time, Days, Monday - Friday · NO NIGHTS, NO WEEKENDS, NO HOLIDAYS · Rotating on-call · We also offer: · Medical, vision, dental and prescription drug insuran ...